Beacon Consulting Group Staff Profile: John Richmond, Surety/Construction Project Consultant
John Richmond joined Beacon in September of 2016 and has since become an integral part of our Construction Consulting team. John helps to provide a wide range of services to Beacon's clients, including cost-to-complete assessments, review of payment requisitions, review of change orders, review of schedule delay claims, construction defects assessments, and overseeing/directing operations on construction jobsites.
Working out of our Medford, MA office, John has assisted as a key member of Beacon's project team working on a number of large, high-profile construction consulting and completion projects for Beacon's Surety clients. These include projects in all of the following areas:
- Higher Education. $81-million Rutgers University Chemistry & Chemical Biology Building completion
- Transportation sector. $23-million MBTA Railway Extension project in Massachusetts
- State Government. $8-million Building Demolition and Abatement project for NYS state agency
- Federal Government / Military. Risk Assessment for Projects across the mainland U.S. and Hawaii (involves 26 separate construction consulting assignments at government/military facilities). At the time of assessment, there was approx. $103-million in remaining construction work at the sites.
John has also been actively involved in a number of construction defects assessments for Beacon's insurance industry clients, including:
- Condominium Complex (Irvine, CA) - Evaluated resultant damage associated with alleged construction defects claims at a 756-unit condominium complex and prepared draft cost estimates for repair of resultant damage.
- Apartment Comlex (San Jose, CA) - Analyzed the cost to repair alleged construction defects associated with a plastering contractor on a 182-unit apartment complex in San Jose, CA.
- Townhomes / Condominiums (Douglas County, CO & Westminster, CO). Performed assessment of alleged construction defects on the townhomes and condominiums. Workscope included analyzing the defects, their root causes, and their impact on the overall repair costs.
John is an engineering graduate of The University of Massachusetts (Lowell, MA). John also took Electrical Engineering courses at University of New Hampshire. In his free time, John plays keyboards of all types (piano, synthesizer, organ) and enjoys sound design within that realm. John also enjoys carpentry and is currently building a shed in his yard. John and his wife Jennifer have 2 children Nate (14) and Lily (11). The Richmonds live in Framingham, MA.
Some of the things that John said he enjoys about working at Beacon, include:
Teamwork – " I like how the people at Beacon can pull together to solve problems. Using the diverse resources of management and construction industry knowledge, we provide solutions to each individual client's case."
Managing and turning around bad situations: "I like how Beacon can greatly improve the job site conditions by bringing experienced management to resolve complex problems, coordinate activities and schedules, and ultimately satisfy the end-user (owner)."
"I learn something new everyday! I love the challenge of managing people, projects and problems through completion and resolution!"